Blog dedicated to Oracle Applications (E-Business Suite) Technology; covers Apps Architecture, Administration and third party bolt-ons to Apps

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How to install Oracle client on windows without install cd or stage area

Many years back, I devised this method to get Oracle client installed on all PCs on the network without needing an installation CD or staged media.  It was truly a "necessity is the mother of invention" thing.  I had once gone to a client site to find out how they were doing and whether our custom client server application was working fine for them.  It turned out that one of their PCs had a hard disk failure, so they wanted me to install the oracle client and application on the newly installed hard disk.  I was wondering how I would be able to do it without installation media. However, I took up the challenge and thought logically. We had other PCs which had the application and all I had to do was clone that to another PC.  All Windows applications store configuration settings in the Windows Registry.  Usually each application has its own tree in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software.  So I exported the tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Oracle into a file called oracle.reg.  I also exported the tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > ODBC into a file called odbc.reg.  

From the existing client PC, I copied the 

1. oracle directory 
2. oracle.reg
3. odbc.reg
4. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Oracle

I executed the oracle.reg and odbc.reg and put $ORACLE_HOME/bin in PATH.  I also set environment variables: ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, TNS_ADMIN in System properties dialog box.

That was it, oracle client was installed and usable.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shortcut. I will add this to my toolbox.